Citizen house building

Citizen house building

Postby viktoria.s on Wed May 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi!

I have completed a draft for a citizen house building. I follow the guidelines of the page here:
http://wiki.unknown-horizons.org/w/DD/Increments/4
so I have created a stone building.
This is very, very, very far away from being finished, but I thought I share it before I go to a completely wrong direction.
So here are the mages:
ImageImage
ImageImage
The planed modifications:
- the roof will be slate
-the walls will be more realistic
-the gargoyles going to be improved
-the windows going to be improved, to see more of the divider wood
viktoria.s
Pioneer

Re: Citizen house building

Postby totycro on Wed May 30, 2012 6:02 pm

Wow, that's certainly a step forward from the current houses, nice work!

I like the coloring scheme, it could fit the general ambience better, which is quite brown/orangeish.

The current tier 4 house gfx resides here: content/gfx/buildings/citizens/residential/as_stonehouse0
So you can just replace those files to see your ones in action. In a final version, you could create an as_stonehouse1 there and add that to content/objects/buildings/tent.yaml , just next to the line containing as_stonehouse0 .

To me, it's a bit hard to give elaborate feedback without seeing the graphics with content, but i'm positive it's very far from a completely wrong direction :)

EDIT:
As possibly mentioned before, the wiki contains only guidelines which you can disregard if you feel the need to. Sometimes it's hard to get the different artists to talk to each other, so the best thing to do is probably to try to keep a sense of relation to other graphics, and nonetheless try to get feedback as you just did.
Also, it sometimes helps to show up in the irc channel for a while and make people give you feedback in case it's particularly important.
totycro
Viceroy

Postby viktoria.s on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi!

Here is an update on the house. I have created 3 types of houses out of that model. The gargoyles are missing I am going to add them later. (I have to work on those.....)

Type 1:
Image Image
Image Image

Type 2:
Which wal is better this one:
Image Image
Image Image
or this one:
Image Image
Image Image
?

Type 3:
Image Image
Image Image

I hope you like these :)
viktoria.s
Pioneer

Postby Nihathrael on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi viktoria.s,
those look really great! 8-)

I like the first walls of type 2 best, maybe the stones should be a little smaller, those seem to be huge if taken to scale.

I personally like type 1 and 3 best, both might be a little too colorful though, especially the roofs. But I'd like someone with more graphics knowledge to give you some feedback on this.

Keep up the great work :)

-- Thomas
Nihathrael - Unknown Horizons Project Coordinator
Nihathrael
King

Postby UnknownScribe on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Hey,
Great work, Personally my favourite is type 3 with the blue roof and light stone. This is increment 4 so there is quite a high level of luxury and I think the light colours shows this the best.

If possible I think some windows on the side of the house would look good and also increase the aesthetics of the building. In real life more windows would mean it would be a lot lighter inside as well which is more luxurious also around the time the game is set a 'window tax' was introduced (in England) so having a lot of windows at that time portrayed a lot of wealth.

If it's easily done then it might look good to have the windows on the top floor to be longer so they end firther down the building as if they were floor-to-ceiling windows so they are also less square on the top floor (a rough example here: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/alessandro0770/alessandro07701009/alessandro0770100900130/7881850-renaissance-windows.jpg)
as this would compliment the same renaissance style angular pediments over the windows in style 3.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on a bit! I've done a few models for UH but these are all superb so well done, and it's is great to have someone else helping out :D

UnknownScribe (Daniel Stephens)
UnknownScribe

Postby UnknownScribe on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Sorry for the double post but I made this on photoshop very quickly using your renders to try and demonstrate what I meant about the window length:
hope that helps!
UnknownScribe

Postby wentam on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:18 am

Really cool house!

Just some feedback:

• These particular renders are just a bit too large for in-game, though you might know that already
  • Types 1-3 might be too large of a step from increment 3, they seem very fancy next to the increment 3 building when pasted with an image editor
  • I can't seem to make types 1 and 2 fit with the game's theme with my image editor at all
  • There is nothing to 'attach' the house to the rest of the game besides a small shadow. most graphics in UH use a grassy/dirt texture under the building
  • The shadow could be put at an angle to help the attachment to the game as well

The original walls seem to fit best with the game to me, though it would need a roof (one that's not too rich-person looking).

Looks like you've got something here, and they will probably end up replacing the current increment 4 house, as well as help set the increment 4 theme.
wentam
Sailor

Postby viktoria.s on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 am

Thank you everybody for your feed back and your tips. :)
Only thing I would like to mention these are just work in progress, I've got more things to come....:)
viktoria.s
Pioneer

Postby chrisoelmueller on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Even if labeled "wip", you did an awesome job with those houses already and i'd really like to see them in-game soon!
We can of course always replace them by improved versions later if you found something to add and refine -- i got too impatient :), resized the images you posted to 128x128 and wired them in.

Two screenshots are attached below; I could upload those graphics to the official repository so that others also get to see them if you're fine with that or wait for even more awesome ones.
Since i'm no artist, I guess you can see more in the screenshots than i could describe now anyways -- and judging from the feedback UnknownScribe and wentam gave, that is a huge difference :)

Thanks a bunch for your work so far! If you need anything, let us know here or on IRC. We really don't want to waste such efforts!

Image Image
chrisoelmueller
Viceroy

Postby viktoria.s on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:31 am

Hi!

I have an update on the type 1 building here it is:
Image Image
Image Image

and here is the screenshot in the game:

@chrisoelmueller:
It would be great to see my work in the repositories. I think this one can go, I thinks this is more or less final. One thing I have noticed is the rotation of the building might be not right. (It seems that the entrance of the building is not the same as for the settler building ...) The rescaled type 3 building can go too. But I am not quite sure with the type 2 building. I thinks that is not that good.

@UnknownScribe
I was thinking about the windows. But in my opinion that idea should be save for the aristocracts (You know there are 2 more levels to come ....)
viktoria.s
Pioneer

Next

Return to Contributions